Social Media Platforms That Are Best for Increasing SEO
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and establishing a following on social media platforms go hand in hand. They both use inbound strategies to attract visitors organically, making it easy for users to find you when searching for a certain keyword phrase. To be successful, both expect high-quality content and strong brand presence.
Here are a few reasons why being present and active on social media platforms can increase your SEO:
- Backlinks to your website: When you publish links on social media platforms, external inbound links are created that point back to your site. Backlinks on different, reliable platforms can impact your page ranking in search engines.
- Social media profiles rank in search engines: When you search for a business or brand in a search engine, you will often find the social media pages of the company among the rank results. When we Googled LiftIgniter, our LinkedIn profile ranked second after our company website, our YouTube page fifth, and our Twitter page sixth. Social channels are more personal than websites and users will often look at these profiles first to get a sense of the brand’s personality. This is why brand consistency is important!
- Increased traffic on social media will increase traffic to your website: The more people who find you on their favorite social media platform, the more will end up on your site. If they like your brand personality and the links you post, they will click through to your site sooner than later.
- Increased influence: The more shares, likes, and followers you have on a social media platform, the higher your brand authority and the more likely people will click through to your site.
- Social media channels are search engines too: We often think of Google, Bing, and the likes when we think of search engines, but keep in mind that social media platforms also rely heavily on their search functions. SEO for search engines includes search that happens on social media platforms as well.
Here’s a list of the best social media platforms that can increase your SEO:
With 300 million users in October 2013, Google+ may not be the most popular or the biggest social media platform out there, but Google owns it. Google gives preference to activity on Google+, which means the more you’re active on Google+, the higher your ranking in the popular search engine.
YouTube is an excellent platform if you have videos to showcase. If you don’t, start thinking about making videos, because it’s one of the best ways to get people to spend time with your brand!
YouTube is owned by Google and is the second largest search engine in the world. It has over 1 billion users, and more than 4 billion videos are watched per day. It is also the second largest social media platform in the United States and accounts for more than 22% of social media traffic. Even if viewers don’t end up on your website, being on YouTube can increase your brand awareness, grow your social presence, and translate into conversions.
Facebook is a highly developed social media platform and currently one of the most popular social sites. In the second quarter of 2016, Facebook had 1.71 billion active monthly users worldwide.
Facebook is a good platform to earn good businesses leads; many people search for a company they’re interested in on Facebook before they even go to their website. If you’re not on Facebook, you might not get found.
Twitter is a large social search engine which many people turn to for their daily news. In the second quarter of 2016, Twitter had 313 million active users daily. Typically, links are posted on Twitter which lead back to your website. If you use hashtags correctly, tweet regularly, tweet about hot topics, and make your headlines catchy, you can easily build an audience and increase traffic to your website.
70% of Pinterest users use this platform to find inspiration when making purchase decisions. Pinterest had 100 million users in September 2015, and 1 million brands already created their own business page. It’s an excellent, visual platform to get your products found, shared, and bought. Users discover your pins through searching, which can link back to your website, thus increasing traffic to your site.
Instagram is also an excellent visual platform and a great place to showcase content which relies on visual impact, like fashion brands. In September 2015, Instagram had 400 million active monthly users, and 65% of leading brands have active accounts on Instagram.
LinkedIn is a professional social media platform and one of the best platforms for making business connections, especially for B2B companies. LinkedIn has over 380 million members worldwide, 53% of B2B companies use it to find customers, and clients are 50% more likely to buy from companies they engage with on LinkedIn.
Social Media Platforms Using Personalization
Many social media platforms use personalization to give their users the best feed possible. With personalization, these platforms can show the best possible content to users, depending on what they search for. Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter all adopted personalization and reported great success with it. When you use social media to increase your SEO, these personalization tactics work well in your favor, as you know people finding your posts are genuinely interested in the topic.
Social Media Platforms and SEO
Choose the social media platforms that resonate best with you and which you feel will increase your SEO the most. When posting content and links to your favorite social media platforms, remember to optimize your posts for search. This can be done by using descriptive titles and keywords, and optimizing for localization. To get a local edge, post news links about the local community and updates when participation in local events.
Which social media platforms do you prefer? Let us know!